Legal, Banking & Financial Services
Posted 23rd Nov 2017
A leading international commodities exchange firm are currently seeking a Legal Counsel on a part-time basis (approx. 20-25hrs per week)
Reporting to the Chief Legal & Compliance Officer you will be required to assist with a broad range of corporate and commercial legal work; and supporting the Compliance related activities of the department. Managing the processing of contracts and regulatory documentation, and implementing the company’s governance framework.
• Drafting, negotiating and reviewing contracts and related documents;
• Creating standard agreements, contracts, forms and other templates;
• Drafting rules and procedures relating to human resources, data protection, compliance and other corporate policies;
• Coordinating with internal and external stakeholders and external counsel;
• Coordinating the registration of intellectual property rights including patents, trademarks, copyrights, licenses and know-how;
• Structuring, development and documentation of new products and the analysis of legal and regulatory issues.
Compliance & Regulatory Affairs
• Monitoring the regulatory environment and ensuring compliance with the Exchange’s license obligations;
• Maintaining and updating the Rulebook;
• Preparing regulatory submissions;
• Monitoring changing regulations in foreign jurisdictions and ensuring ongoing compliance;
• Developing and delivering compliance training for staff and market participants;
• Advising staff and market participants on regulatory obligations;
• Liaison point for customer and member complaints and inquiries;
• Maintaining on-going relationship with DFSA to provide requisite notifications and updates, seeking required approvals, and attending periodic compliance meetings;
• Liaising with legal, regulatory, market surveillance, audit, clearing, and other compliance staff members
• Attending Compliance Risk & Audit Committee meetings and noting meeting minutes, as required.
• Providing backup settlement and trade surveillance coverage for Senior Manager, Trade Surveillance.
AML & Membership
• Assisting for MLRO where required, for advice, receipt of SARs and regulatory interaction;
• Reviewing due diligence of new member applications and liquidity incentive scheme applicants;
• Advising Member Relations on membership on-boarding, transfers, terminations, and cancellations.
A leading international commodities exchange firm based in Dubai
• Ability to deliver legal and regulatory services to the highest standard
• Strong drafting, research and language skills
• Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills
• Solid advisory and presentation skills
• At least 5 years’ legal experience; with a compliance / regulatory background preferred
• At least 3 years’ general legal experience at a leading international law firm or financial institution
• Experience of operating within DIFC, under DFSA regulation, is preferred
• Ideally with a background working with an exchange, broker / dealer or FCM; or as a regulatory attorney at a law firm
• Experience in commodity derivatives would be helpful
• Experience in the development and documentation of policies.
• LLB or equivalent from a leading law school in a top legal jurisdiction
• Completion of training contract at a leading international law firm and achieving accreditation by a law society or bar association of a leading business/legal centre